A few weeks before Aspen was born, we were visiting my parents in Mt. Olive. I was exhausted! Between travel, showers, working full time, preparing the nursery and repeating the answers "Yes, this is our first. It's a girl. June 7th. No, it's not twins." at least 25 times a day, I just wanted REST! So, I went to find my mom to tell her "goodnight" and when I found her, I must have had "the look". "The look" that says "I know I'm grown , but I really want to pretend like I'm 5 and cry and let you make it all better!" She simply gave me a hug (well, it was kind of a side-hug secondary to the protruding abdomen), rubbed my head and said, "She's going to be worth it...and I can't wait until you have her, because then you'll know how much I love you."
Truer words have never been spoken. She was worth the wait and the love that my mom was talking about...I just would have never known that without Aspen. My sweet baby arrived in timely fashion...right on her due date! And life as I knew it was over. Life now meant focusing every waking hour on the needs of another human being, and it wasn't easy! It's safe to say that I had NO CLUE how to be a Mommy. But everyday got a little easier as we adjusted to life as a family of 3. And now, a year later, I can't imagine a life without her gummy smile, slobbery kisses, the way she laughs when I poke her belly button, how she hugs Mollie-Kate and says "Ahhhhhhh" when she feels MK's hair against her face, the way she gets excited and kicks her legs when she sees our niece, Christa, the way that little voice sounds so country when she says "baaaaaaybaaaaaay" when she wants her baby doll, her laugh when I tickle her (she is soooooo ticklish), the way she pushes her new baby doll stroller around like its just instinctual...I could go on! :)
Thank you, Aspen, for teaching me to love deeper, be less selfish and act a little sillier! I can't wait to see what the next year brings for you, sweet girl! Mommy loves you!
Here are a few pictures from her birthday celebration last weekend:
Lemonade stand that my sweet Daddy made for the birthday girl!










No comments:
Post a Comment